HOW TO DEAL WITH PROCRASTINATION?
Procrastination is the enemy of every student. In a time where we have so many distractions in our lives, it’s easy to procrastinate a lot. However, procrastination leaves us with not enough time to get our work done which causes stress, unfinished work or work we could have done better if we had more time. I also procrastinate a LOT but here are some tips I’ve learned from experience on how to deal with it:
1. Have a good vision on what you need to do! Aka make sure you have a planning! Without knowing the exact things you need to do it’s easier to procrastinate because you have no idea how much work is actually waiting on you. With a clear plan, you’ll know how much time you need so you’re less likely to procrastinate too much.
2. Don’t make your breaks too long. I notice that if my breaks are too long, I don’t get back to work. A long break turns into a whole day of doing nothing. Ideally, a study break should be 5-15 minutes.
3. Start immediately! Don’t wait! I know it’s a lot easier said than done but this actually helps a lot! If you procrastinate a lot, try to start studying IMMEDIATELY after you come home. Once you get into the study vibe, you’re less likely to procrastinate.
4. Think about how you’ll feel afterwards. Ending a day where you got a lot of stuff done from your to do list is one of the best feelings ever!
5. Make it a habit! If you study habitually, it will be less like a chore and more something you just do like brushing your teeth. Start with just 1 hour a day. Try to study between certain hours. After a few days, study for 1,5 hours a day, etc. until you reach a point where you get all of your work done!
6. Sometimes, procrastination is a vicious circle of not feeling motivated enough to get the work done. Don’t force yourself to sit at your desk all day. Get up, go outside and do at least 1 fun thing a day like exercising, taking a walk, doing something fun with friends. After that you’ll feel like a new person and that might be the breath of air you need to get working!
I hope you find these tips helpful! Honestly, procrastination is a very hard thing to deal with so I totally understand how you feel! These tips help me to beat procrastination & I hope they help you too!