A couple of years ago I was a carefree student. I had to go to school by bike (around 15 minutes of traveling), I didn’t have a lot of work from school, I didn’t have a boyfriend, I had a good social life, and I didn’t have a job.
Now, my life looks a lot more different than it looked back then. I have to travel for 2 hours to go to school, I have a lot to study as a law student, I have a boyfriend who I love to see, I still have a social life and I have a full time job: my company Ways To Study. A couple of you were wondering how I combine school with other activities like my job without getting behind on school so I am going to give you a couple of tips on how to stay on top of school with a busy schedule.
- The first thing you are going to need is a good planning. As you cannot afford to lose any precious time it is important to use the time you have. Make a list of all the important things you need to do and try to fit in as much as possible.
- Don’t plan too much. If you know you don’t have 5 hours to study but you plan in things that will cost you 5 hours, you won’t finish your to do list and you will feel even more stressed because you couldn’t do all the things you wanted to do. Be realistic and honest when you are making a planning.
- Get up as early as possible to do the things you want to do. I think mornings are amazing to get work done because it is so quiet and nobody expects anything from you everyone else is asleep. There aren’t a lot of people on social media and if you live in a house with multiple people like I do it will be great to have a few hours of quietness in the house. While the whole world is sleeping, you are chasing your dreams.
- Try to multitask. If you have to sit in the bus for an hour to get home, use that hour to your advantage and study/revise something. Especially if you have to do other things first when you get home like cooking or playing sports. I personally like to write articles in the train or edit pictures or new videos.
- If you have classes where you barely learn something, do something else instead. Not every teacher will allow this but in my university the professor won’t even notice if I am summarizing his/her subject during the lectures. I mean, you spend 4-9 hours at school every day so make sure you are doing something there that is worth your time.
- Try to do as much as possible on days where you don’t have to do a lot. If you for example don’t have a lot of time to work on weekdays, try to finish all your homework in your weekends so you don’t have to do a lot on school days. You can also prep exams/tests by making summaries in your weekend so you only have to study a little bit on weekdays.
My last piece of advice for you is to not overwork yourself. It is really important to relax once in a while, even though you have a lot going on in your life. Something that I like to do is take some time every day to write in my journal, listen to some music or call/facetime my boyfriend. These things can take 10 minutes each but I feel so much more relaxed afterwards that it’s really worth my time.
I hope this article is helpful for you. I would love to write an article on how to combine a love life with school, so if you are interested, just send me a DM on Twitter, Instagram or wherever you want :).