Recently, I have been thinking about life and how easy it is for us to change it. I have a lot going on in my life: law school, my relationship with my boyfriend, my social life, my company Ways To Study and of course taking care of me. In this article I am going to show you how easy it is to simplify your life and to get in control of everything. It’s going to be about self love and letting go of things that put you down, because those two are extremely crucial in achieving your goals and becoming happy.
”Only you get to choose what your life will look like.”
So, take control today and start living the life that you want. Here are some ideas that might help you change your life today.
- Declutter your social media. Social media is so overwhelming for people because of all the information our brains have to process. Another negative aspect is the fact that we spend so much time on it. I personally feel like I waste so much time scrolling through my feed, liking pictures of people I do not care about. I want to change that.
I am not saying that social media is bad as a whole. I just want to limit the time I spend on it and try to get something good out of it.
The first thing you should do is delete all apps on your phone that you don’t use or that you don’t enjoy using. For me, that was Facebook and YouTube. I only check my Facebook feed and YouTube on my laptop now, because I don’t really use my laptop for social media.
The next thing to do is turn the social media you have left into something inspiring and positive. Unfollow and unfriend everyone you don’t like: people that annoy you, people who post too much, people you barely know, people who don’t like your pictures back (because let’s be honest, you don’t need that kind of negativity in your life). Start following accounts that do inspire you, if you don’t do this already. When you are done with this, your social media will be something that will inspire you on a daily basis. Furthermore, because there is less to check on your phone, you will spend less time on your phone and more time working to achieve your goals.
- Stop seeing others as your role model. I used to look up to other people a lot. You’d think that having a role model is something good and is something that can change your life in a positive way. Well, let me tell you this: it’s not. Why? When you see someone as your role model, you want to be like that person while you should be striving to be the best version of yourself. Looking up to someone else is only going to result in you changing you as a person and your goals to become more like someone that is not you. Let go of that. The only thing you should do is focus on yourself: what do you want? What does make you happy? What are your aspirations in life? Everything you are doing is for you and you only. Make sure that you know who you are and where you want to be in the future. It’s the only way to grow and to become happy with the growth.
- Don’t be afraid to cut off unhealthy relationships and toxic friendships. Search on Google for red flags in relationships and friendships and don’t be afraid to end a relationship or friendship if you feel like you are being controlled, if you feel like you are suffocating, if a person is using you, or if a person simply does not make you happy anymore. It’s your life, and you get to choose who you spend it with. The less people in your life, the less drama. A relationship or friendship is supposed to make you happy, and you deserve happiness. By cutting off toxic friendships and relationships you are giving yourself the opportunity to find something that is going to make you feel happier, you are creating the space that you need to find new people who will treat you right.
- With that being said, surround yourself with people that inspire you. As Jim Rohn said: you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with. I think this is pretty accurate. I often notice I adopts small habits from people that are close to me. My boyfriend and I take over each other’s way of talking for example. You can use this to your advantage by surrounding yourself by people that inspire and motivate you. Empower one another #squadgoals.
”Be picky about the vibes, be picky about the energy you surround yourself with.”
Be careful that you don’t confuse inspiring people with people that make you feel like you need to compete with them. You don’t have to compete with anyone. You don’t have to compare yourself with anyone. Trust me, you are going to be so much more confident once you realize this.
- Don’t just surround yourself with people that inspire you, surround yourself with things that inspire you too. Tidy up your desk, clean your room, wear an outfit you feel confident in, rock that lipstick. Your environment can really change your mood and determine the way you act. There is a saying that goes: dress for the job you want, not the job you have. This is exactly what I am talking about. You want something? Act like you have it and work like you have it.
- Prioritize. You need to decide for yourself what matters the most to you and where you want to put your energy in. Once you know this, things are going to be a lot easier for you because you know what to do: leave all distractions behind and focus on your goals.
- Fall in love with taking care of yourself. Last, but not least: self care and self love. I cannot stress enough how important this is. By taking care of yourself you will realize what you deserve and how important you are. Take care of your skin, drink tea, watch movies with hot chocolate milk, spend time with family and friends, drink water, take showers and baths, exercize, eat healthy, smile often, go for a walk, sleep early and get up early, breath, meditate, journal, read, laugh, love. Ever since I started taking more care of myself, I am a lot more relaxed and because most of the things I do to take care of myself are routines, I feel more productive and in control of my life.
Those were my ideas on how to change your life and take control of it. I want to end this article with a quote that sums up everything I explained above:
”Wake up early. Drink coffee. Work hard. Be ambitious. Keep your priorities straight, your mind right, your head up. Do well, live well, and dress really well. Do what you love, love what you do. It’s time to start living.”
Have a wonderful day. You deserve it.